How Do You Build a C&C Guinea Pig Cage?
Guinea pigs are adorable, sociable pets that require a comfortable and spacious living environment to thrive. One of the most popular options for housing these furry friends is a C&C cage, which stands for Cubes and Coroplast / correx. These cages are customizable, easy to clean, and provide ample space for your guinea pig to play and exercise. If you’re wondering how to build a C&C cage for your guinea pig, this guide will walk you through the process step-by-step.
Understanding C&C Cages
C&C cages are made from wire grid panels (the cubes) and corrugated plastic sheets (the coroplast or correx). They are favored by guinea pig owners because they offer more space than traditional pet store cages. Moreover, they allow for customization according to your pet’s needs or your living space constraints.
The wire grids form the walls of the cage while the coroplast / correx forms the base. The base is designed in such a way that it has raised edges to keep bedding and waste inside the cage. The design of these cages promotes better ventilation and allows your pet to have an unobstructed view of its surroundings.
What You’ll Need To Build A C&C Cage
1. Wire grid cubes: These will form the walls of your cage.
2. 4mm thick Coroplast / correx sheet: This will be used as the base of your cage.
3. Cable ties: These will help secure the wire grids together.
4. Connectors: These will help secure the wire grids together.
5. Rivets: To secure the correx corners together.
You can find all of these materials in our complete C&C cage kits https://candcguineapigcages.co.uk/standard-cages/ These kits come with all materials needed and detailed instructions on how to assemble them.
Building Your Indoor Guinea Pig Cage
Now that you have all your materials, let’s dive into how to build a C&C cage:
Depending on your available space and the number of guinea pigs you have, plan out your cage layout. A standard size for two guinea pigs is 2×4 grids, but if you have more space or more guinea pigs, feel free to expand.
1. Assemble the Grids: Start by connecting the wire grids using the connectors. Make sure the squares in the grid are small enough so that your guinea pig cannot squeeze through or get its head stuck. 9×9 hole are ideal.
2. Secure the grids with cable ties positioned in the middle.
3. Fold and Secure the Base: fold up the sides of the correx base and secure with the push fit rivets.
4. Combine Base and Grids: Place your coroplast / correx base inside the grid walls.
5. Add Bedding: Finally, add bedding material such as fleece or paper-based bedding into your new C&C cage.
Building a C&C cage for your guinea pigs results in a comfortable, spacious home. Remember that while having an appropriate indoor guinea pig cage is important, it’s also crucial to provide plenty of exercise through floor time, for your pet’s overall health and happiness.
A C&C cage offers a customizable, easy-to-clean, and spacious environment for your guinea pig to thrive in.